- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbs ground flax seeds + 3 tbs water)
- 2 tablespoons safflower or organic canola oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups all-purpose unbleached flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
2. In a separate bowl, wisk together the non-dairy milk, flax egg, oil, sugar and sea salt.
3. Add this to the yeast mixture and stir until well combined.
4. Add all the flour mixture and stir until it forms a shaggy dough.
5. Knead at low speed for 10 minutes (The finished dough should be smooth, feel slightly tacky and spring back when poked).
6. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm spot until doubled in size (approximately one hour).
7. Dust your work area with a little flour and turn out the risen dough on top.
8. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a tight ball.
9. Transfer the balls onto a baking sheet and let them rise until they look puffy and hamburger-sized (approximately 30 - 40 minutes).
10. Bake the buns at 375 degree for approximately 15 - 18 minutes (or until golden on the tops).
11. Let the buns cool at room temperature before slicing and using. And, voilá -- delicious homemade vegan burger buns!